A couple of weeks ago I wrote about how I wanted to find the perfect pair of skinny jeans. The thing is, I don’t really have the time to go to every shop and try on countless pairs, so upon the strong recommendation of my friend, I decided to head over to Defacto in Makati to get a custom pair made. At Defacto, they have all kinds of denim fabric and styles to choose from, so it helps if you already have an idea of what kind of pair you want before you go there. Otherwise, you’ll be so overwhelmed with the options available!
So here’s how Defacto jeans are made:
1) Choose what kind of pants you want (skinny, straight, bootleg, etc.)
2) Once you’re done picking out the style, someone will take your measurements. I suggest that you wear a pair of pants whose fit you like best so they can get a better idea of how you want your pants to be made.
3) Choose the type of denim.
4) Choose the stitching.
5) Wait seven to ten days for a text message to arrive saying that your jeans are done!
6) Go back to the Defacto store and try on your custom-made jeans. Defacto has a 21-day guarantee, which means you can still have your jeans altered for free up until 21 days after you got them.
The base price of Defacto jeans is Php 2,000 and you need to pay a little more if you want to add extra pockets and stuff. I just got a normal pair of skinny jeans with the traditional mustard-yellow stitching. Now that I think about it, I wish I had been a little more adventurous!
The guys at Defacto also deconstructs old jeans to make them look cooler or to make them fit better. I brought in a pair of flared jeans I used to wear all the time in college and had them transform it into skinny jeans for around Php 300.
The Defacto store can be found at Unit 112 G/F Mile Long Building, Amorsolo Cor Herrera Sts., Legazpi Village, Makati. Check out their Multiply site to see the latest styles and fabrics.